Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gratitude

During my 41 day hospital stay, I was blessed with many visitors. My good friend Megan actually organized a schedule so I wouldn't have several visitors one day and then no one for the next several days. It was a great idea and I appreciated it so much.
One of my "regular" visitors came almost every week on her day off of work to sit and chat. She brought me books, Cd's, and snacks to keep me occupied. One of the books she let me borrow was "Choosing Gratitude" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.
The book was so inspiring and helpful! It is all about being grateful in each and every situation that we are in. I definitely had days where I was depressed, asking "why me?" while sitting in my hospital bed. But in Nancy's book, I learned the importance of being thankful for everything that I was going through. God has given us all a different plan for our lives, some are easier then others. Although I will never be able to carry a baby full term, I am able to have babies, and I am so grateful to have been blessed with 2! While on bed rest, I was given time to read, study, meditate and pray, things that I wasn't always making time to do as I should have.
In one of the chapters entitled "Why Choose Gratitude?", Nancy lists 8 good reasons why we should choose gratitude over ingratitude.
1.Gratitude is a matter of obedience
2.Gratitude draws us close
3.Gratitude is a sure path to peace
4.Gratitude is a gauge of the heart
5.Gratitude is the will of God
6.Gratitude is an evidence of being filled with the Spirit
7.Gratitude reflects Jesus' heart
8.Gratitude gets us ready for heaven
Nancy gives many scriptural references to back up her points. The following is an excerpt from the forward written by Joni Eareckson Tada.
"Many decades in a wheelchair have taught me to not segregate my Savior from the suffering He allows, as though a broken neck- or in your case, a broken ankle, heart, or home- merely 'happens' and then God shows up after the fact to wrestle something good out of it. No, the God of the Bible is bigger than that. Much bigger.
"My friend Nancy Leigh explains this so beautifully in her precious new book Choosing Gratitude. And it needs explaining! It's hard to hold on to gratitude; it's hard to find joy when you're looking into the jaws of mind-bending pain or heart-wrenching disappointment. But you have quite a guide in Nancy because she is ever so careful not to separate God from the suffering He allows in your life. She makes the connection between gratitude and joy."
I just wanted to share this with you and definitely recommend reading this book, whether you struggle with being grateful or not. I think we can all learn to be more grateful for everything in life. I'm thankful for a friend who shared this special book with me; someone who, despite her own trials and struggles, is able to be thankful in every circumstance.

I'm grateful that my blue-eyed baby is finally home!

2 comments:

Brad and Meagan said...

I've never read that book- but hear it's a good one- her daily program at reviveourhearts.com sometimes goes through her books ( not getting all the details of course- but most of them).~ Looking forward to finally holding her! yippee. cya soon

Lorraine said...

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! So glad MaryBeth is home!
I love Nancy Leigh DeMoss' book called "Choosing Forgiveness" as well. When I read some of the circumstances I think I could never forgive. But we also have to remember that God doesn't give us "grace to put in our pockets" but grace for the day.