Thursday, April 22, 2010

Barf and such....

With this being the 22nd of April, I am spending a lot of time reflecting on the past 4 years. It was 4 years ago that Chris and I were married on a rainy afternoon. We didn't let the weather put a damper on spirits and even managed to take some beautiful pictures outside. After 4 years (which doesn't sound all that long) you do learn a lot about each other. One of the things that I've learned to appreciate the most is my husband's willingness to help me. Are not women supposed to be the help-meet for their husbands? I feel like it's opposite.

Nathan has not been the easiest child during his short life. One of my greatest challenges is getting him to eat, esp. his supper. Every evening is a battle and I can't help but get discouraged and frustrated. This just sets Nathan off and creates even more drama at the dinner table. But then my calm and composed husband comes in from the barn and somehow manages to get the rest of Nathan's meal into him. Once supper is over, Chris takes Nathan for a bath while I clean up the kitchen and do the dishes or vice versa. Never has Chris just left (other then to go to a church prayer service or sing at Willowgrove) to go "do his own thing", which is something I think men often do, at least that was what my dad did.

Last night I think topped the cake. While Chris was at church for a prayer service, I was getting Nathan ready for bed. While pausing when drinking his bottle, Nathan puked :( Not very much, but enough to be needing new p.j.s and a washing of the afghan he was sitting on. I didn't think too much of it since Nathan was acting like his normal silly self. He drank some more of his bottle and went straight to sleep once in bed. Later in the evening, Chris and I heard some noise from Nathan's room. Immediately I thought "I hope he didn't puke some more". I wanted to check but since it was quiet once again in his room, I left him alone, not wanting to disturb his sleep. At about 1:30am I was awakened by the cries of my son. Since he has a habit of doing this, I let him cry, hoping that he would fall back to sleep. By 2am I got up, went into Nathan's room and nearly threw-up myself because of the stench!!! I immediately turned on the light to find my son sitting in his crib covered in puke. I felt like the worse mother in the world :( I can't say for sure, but I think he had thrown-up when we had heard him in the evening ( around 10pm) and had fallen asleep lying in it, although I don't know how anyone could do that! Chris soon woke up (probably from the sour stench wafting into our bedroom) and came to my rescue. He immediately took Nathan from me and was scrubbing him clean in the bathroom while I gathered all the dirty blankets and sheets, scrubbed the mattress clean and sprayed the room several times with air freshener.

What a special way to spend an anniversary together :) I'm so blessed to have Chris in my life!

1 comment:

Nicolette said...

i did the same thing before (left jules in her barf - unknowingly) and felt like a TERRIBLE mom. so don't feel too bad!