I thought I should take a moment to write about our daily life here on the farm since things are quiet at the moment, although a little girl is starting to squeak, wanting her lunch :) She's munching on her fingers and the carpet! Anyways, like I said in my previous post, life is busy. Even now I have countless things that I could be doing. Our carpet is now in upstairs- hurray! Now we need to get some new trim to finish it off. I'm wishing now that I had painted the closets right away when I was painting the bedrooms. I guess since the closet doors were usually closed, I didn't think too much about it. I ended up taking the closet doors off so they wouldn't be in the way during the carpet installation. Now that they're off, I can see a pink closet in a yellow room and a yucky wallpaper in a light pink room :( I'm planing to still paint the closet doors while they are down. I don't want to post any pictures until it is all finished... hopefully in a week or 2!
We have also been sick :( Just with colds but no fun none the less. MaryBeth had a rattle in her chest for several weeks (back in May). She was put on antibiotics for 10 days and just when she seemed to be getting over it, the cough and runny nose have come back. Nathan has started coughing now too. I had a horrible head cold for a week.... still am alittle stuffed up but I think it's probably due to allergies. Chris, as usual, is very healthy. Although he did have to go to the dentist due to a molar that keeps chipping. The pain he experienced after the appointment was so bad he wished he had never gone. After a day though, he was fine :)
Nathan started speech therapy 2 weeks ago. The therapist is coming to our house, which I am very thankful for! Saves me a trip out. We still go for physio about once a month. Nathan has improved alot over the last couple months, pulling himself up to standing and crusing around furniture (although that takes some coaxing!). He will walk (if he's in the mood) while holding my hands. Several people have asked lately if doctors think Nathan will ever walk or learn to talk. I had never really thought before of the possibility that he would never learn to do those things. The doctor has never said it wasn't possible for Nathan to walk. But it has made me stop and think about "what if"? Many people who have talked to me about speech therapy are surprised that we do not have to pay for this service. I asked Chris about it a few weeks ago why we don't. He said it's because Nathan is considered a "special needs"child. It made me feel sad inside. To me he's just a normal kid who is learning at his own speed in his own way. But it is weighing very heavy on my heart these days. It's hard going out to parks and such when your child isn't able to join in all the fun and run around with all the other kids. I have to make sure when I go out that I can use my double stroller everywhere I go. Can I ask you all a favor? Please pray for Nathan, that he will learn to walk. And also for me and Chris, to have patience and to be willing to accept whatever the Lord has planned for Nathan. Thanks in advance!
4 comments:
Anneke,
I never liked the idea of labelling kids when they're learning in the exact way God intended for them to learn. It's true that some kids have special needs, but it's too bad the term makes people think about an individual in a negative way sometimes.
Brad says the line about Nathan being a normal kid who is learning at his own speed his own way, was really insightful.
We're pretty happy to have gotten to know your cheerful little guy. ;-)
I have been thinking and praying for you since the family reunion. It is hard to think of what could be. But thankfully God is in control of all of these things, and either way, He is using this to bring glory to His name. We will continue to pray for your sweet little boy. Thankfully he looks like he is very content which must make it easier! We will also pray for strength and patience for you.
Anneke,
I had the same "cold". After 7 weeks of coughing I finally went to the dr.s. He said he has a lot of people with the same thing. Said he's not sure if it's an allergy or not but gave me a req.for a chest xray.Every time I thought I was getting better then it came back again.
I understand the "sad inside" feeling concerning Nathan.He looks totally normal, bright and happy (never mind just plain cute!). Hopefully this "delay" in walking and speech will be caught up before he's five. Praise God for the help that's out there nowadays.
And we'll remember you all in our prayers.
Anneke, if Nathan will walk with you when coaxed, he will walk in the future. He will talk, too, because it's obvious he wants to and has things to say. Anyone can see that things are just cranking around in that little boy head - he has the same mischevious look and spirit of any boy his age! That's what really counts. I totally get the "sad inside", though. I remember being totally mystified with Maddie - why wasn't this child walking?!! I look at Nathan and think the same thing, because he is bright and lively. Be of good courage! Praying for you. :)
Post a Comment