Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Before and After's

For those of you who are my friends on facebook, you've seen these pictures already so don't feel you have to look at it :)
So I guess it's been awhile since I showed my "sneak peek" of Nathan's bedroom. Here finally are all the pictures, well, minus the before pictures that I ended up deleting. This first is the only before picture I seem to have. Nathan did not sleep in here until it was finished. We had the crib set up for company... not a very nice room for company though :(
Here are some "during" shots. I painted the ceiling and trim white and the walls are "humus".


I took the closet doors off and painted them in the basement a dark brown. I figured it would be easier for the guys installing the carpet not to have the doors in their way, plus when the doors opened all the way, they dented the ceiling. I installed a chain on the larger door to prevent it from opening all the way and the smaller door is jammed shut. Chris and I ripped out the carpet. What a yucky job! We did find a penny from I think 1918. I have it saved somewhere :) I also replaced the light fixture, outlets and light switch all by myself! I love doing that type of thing.
Okay, now here is the other project I've been working on. My friend has this baby blanket made from old corduroy pants. I LOVE IT! So I wanted to make one for Nathan's room. But instead of just a blanket, I thought, why not make a duvet cover seeing as Nathan's room is not very warm, esp. in the winter. So I decided to make a twin sized duvet cover- with no pattern! I started off with 8 pairs of men's corduroy pants.
Then I ripped out some of the seams to make large pieces of of material and then cut out 48 12"x12" squares.
Then I stitched the squares together, 6 across and 8 down.
I also bought some material for the back and managed to sew it to the front and ta-da! The end product. I love it!!! Chris wants one for our bed now :) I have never wanted my kids rooms to be "childish" in appearance.... you know the "Winnie the pooh" or "barbie" bedding. Not my style. I like how this duvet cover is something that Nathan can use now and hopefully 10 years from now.
So here is a finished view- the duvet cover is folded in half to fit the toddler bed.

Nathan looks pretty happy with his new room :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anneke,
I am a friend of Meagan's and read your blog sometimes. I love the quilt that you made for Nathan's room, what a great idea! The whole room looks great!
Rachel

Marcia said...

What a wonderful, economical idea to use corduroy pants for the duvet cover! (I'm assuming that you didn't get them new.) The entire room looks absolutely great.

Anonymous said...

Well done! The duvet cover turned out great. I'm sure it'll be nice and warm for winter too. The colours look like they'll match with almost anything. What a change in that room!

Sarah W