Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Decor

I love decorating for Christmas! Many years ago I bought lots of fake green garland and white lights. I used it to decorate at a young peoples dinner. Somehow it has ended up at my sister's and my parents... not sure how to ask for it back seeing as they have been using it for 7-8 years now. I think I can make due with what I have on hand. I cut lots of red sticks (I think it's dog wood?) from the side of the road and used them in my living room. You just have to be careful your clothes don't get caught on them when you walk by :)

This gold wreath I bought at the gift shop at McMaster hospital. I leave it hanging in my living room year round I love it so much! Normally I prefer silver/white gold, but when it comes to decorating for Christmas, I must say that I like gold.

I bought a small 4 ft. fake Christmas tree many years ago when I lived on my own. We still use it today! One day we'll get a large tree but for now it's nice having one that's small enough to sit on the table out of the reach of eager young hands :)

I used to collect anything with snowmen... I have several figurines that hang out on the book shelf.






4 comments:

Jonathan and Denise said...

Looks so cozy!

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

Looks great Anneke! I love dogwood...too bad we don't live in the country :( When I still lived with my parents, I collected a whole bunch of dogwood branches and used some wire/twine to make a rustice looking star. It's the one in our kitchen.

Snowmen are cool (ha ha!) because you can keep them up long past Christmas. :-)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love the three trees on your porch. (Our kids have a game on the way to church which involves being the first to shout "Christmas lights!" when they see some, so I'm very familiar with all decoration down your road...) Every year since we've been in our current house, I go out back with the kids and cut greenery, dogwood & sumac for the front. Steve rolls his eyes every time more Christmas decorating gets snuck into the house. I have always wanted a tree....:)

Tanya

Anneke Naves said...

Thanks all! Tanya- I've been meaning to take pictures of our outside but keep forgetting... I love the 3 lighted trees too! I used to always count how many houses had lights on my way to church in the evening as a kid too! I cut spruce and cedar branches from the yard and then treked down the road and cut white pine and dogwood from the ditch. I love my little tree... it's in pretty bad shape though :( I don't even take it apart anymore. I just put a garbage bag over it and stand it up in my large closet upstairs. Chris didn't grow up with having a Christmas tree but he doesn't seem to mind having one. His parents have one now :)