Many people have been reassuring me that getting some wisdom teeth is a piece of cake... well maybe not quite but it's not as bad as they had thought it would be. I guess I'm not too worried about getting them pulled. It's more the holding my mouth open for long periods of time that I do not like. Which is probably another reason why I do not like going to the dentist. When I had 2 cavities filled last week, my jaw began to tremble as the dentist was finishing the first filling. I start freaking out about not being able to swallow normally and my mouth begins to quiver. My hands are clenched tightly and I don't even realize it. I tell myself over and over again to relax. And it helps... for about 30 seconds. But then I begin to tense up again. I don't know how to over come this. Any suggestions?
Does anyone know why a visit to the dentist costs so much? I mean, it cost me big bucks for an hour of work in my mouth. I know that there are several people involved in the whole visit but seriously, I think it's a little outrageous. One of my cousins had posted on Facebook that 1 filling for her son was going to cost $600 at the pediatric dentist. A little extreme don't you think? I guess ever since my dad had problems with his dentist, I've been somewhat concerned about what they charge. I know I shouldn't be biased and judgemental, but this story is pretty crazy!
This is going back probably 10-15 years already. My dad had a dentist that he would go to close to his work in Toronto (not the same one the rest of the family visited in Barrie). Having complete coverage through his work insurance, my dad never took home a bill. The dentist office simply faxed all the receipts for him. Made things nice and easy. One day my dad finds out that his dentist dies suddenly from a heart attack (not so nice part of the story). I'm not sure if a new dentist took over the practice or if my dad found somewhere else to go, but either way, my dad goes in for a check-up and cleaning. The new dentist is going over my dad's records. "You've had a lot of work done on your teeth" the dentist says.
"Well, not too too much. I have quite a few cavities" replies my dad.
"It says here you've had a couple root canals." says the dentist.
My dad is confused. Yes, sure enough on his records there are procedures listed that he never had done. The now dead dentist had been charging the insurance company for work he never had done. And look where it got him! So if your insurance is paying for your bill, you might want to check it over.
5 comments:
that's bad!
I experience the same stress at the dentist with the whole breathing, holding my jaw open thing- YUCK!
One dentist at the Paris Dental Centre uses laughing gas (nitrous oxide)to sedate anxious patients. You breathe it in through your nose while he works. My childhood dentist did this to all kids (unless the parents didn't want it), so I can say from experience that it's pretty pleasant. I actually like the dentist when I was little. You might want to try him, or ask for it at your own dentist.
Tanya
The same thing happens to me- my jaw trembles and gets so sore! One time at the dentist I told him about that and he put a rubber support in my mouth. It is just something that holds your mouth open on the opposite side that they are working on. I always get the child-size so it doesn't hold my mouth open so far. The only problem is that if you are getting 2 wisdom teeth pulled on opposite sides of your mouth, they might not be able to use the prop because it will get in the way. But make sure to ask for one the next time you get a filling; they always help me!
Rachel Sjaarda
(sorry for being so long-winded)
Hi Anneke,
Funny that I should be typing this with my mouth frozen, as I also had a filling this afternoon!
Is your dentist perhaps a bit pricey? My filling today was $150, and took the dentist and his assistant about 45 minutes. I don't find that at all exorbitant. When the children have a cleaning and exam, it is about $60. If you want his name, just let me know.
As for why it costs what it does, just consider the time and money invested in his education. The new dentist in my practice is a graduate of the U of Penn. I just checked their fee schedule, and currently tuition is $61,696/year, and that's a four year program. That comes after the first four years of undergraduate. Tuition at the U of T is a fraction of that, but would still be a $34K investment. Plus, you don't start practicing dentistry until you are close to 30.
As for your dad's former dentist, his conduct was fraudulent and punishable by law. I doubt that many dentists engage in such practices, considering what they have at stake. You can find dishonest people in any walk of life.
A friend of mine, who is married to a veterinarian, sometimes got flak about his fees. She used to smile and say, "Vet school's still open!"
I apologize for holding a grudge against dentists. It is not right of me to think all dentists are theifs when they are not. I didn't realize how expensive it was to go to school for dentistry. I was charged just over $350 for my 2 fillings last week. I also paid just over $350 for all the x-rays, cleaning, and complete check-up the week before. I had asked around (friends) before deciding to go to Dr.Zucker, although I should have asked more about costs instead of if they liked their dentist.
Tanya, my dentist did suggest the laughing gas for when I am to have my wisdome teeth pulled. I was hoping to go without after hearing about how so many people didn't find it to be so bad. But I think I'll probably end up having it seeing as I get so up tight sitting in that chair.
Post a Comment