Wednesday, August 29, 2012

school

It's hard to believe but in less then 2 weeks my little boy is going to go to junior kindergarten.  I don't think it will totally sink in until I drop him off the first Tuesday and drive away.  Nathan is quite excited about it all, although I don't think he really understands.  He has a small knapsack and I bought him a special bag to hold his snack.  Immediately he put his cookie in the bag and asked for a juice box to add to it.  He wouldn't let go of them for several days, asking every hour if it was time to go to school yet.  They are hiding now as concepts of time are hard to explain to him (totally doesn't understand "in a couple of weeks" yet).

Last week I helped with our vacation Bible school for 2 days in the youngest class and had Nathan as a student.  It didn't go very well.  Let's just say he ended up in the babysit half way through the first day.  The second day he told me he wanted to go in the babysit but I made him stay in the class.  Now he's been telling me that he's going to be bad at school so he can go in the babysit :(  This not sounding very good!  He will learn very quickly (I hope) that there is no babysit at school.  I did find that if Nathan didn't notice me while at VBS, he was fine and much better behaved then when I was right beside him.  Hopefully the same goes at school.

The school (Dundas Calvin Christian School) offers the choice between full days and half days of j/k, Tuesdays and Thursdays, with the ability to switch at any time.  We have decided to send Nathan for the mornings.  I don't think he's ready for a full day yet!  I will also be driving him to and from school, so lots of kilometers on the car!  And since Waterdown is so close by, Mary Beth and I will be doing some groceries and value village scouring every other Tuesday.  I have just agreed to be a babysitter for the Dundas FRC ladies Bible study every other Tuesday morning (the timing works perfectly with Nathan's school).  Should be interesting :)  Then every other Thursday I clean for Chris' Oma in Hamilton.  So most of my mornings are booked when Nathan is in school.  It will hopefully work out well all around!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having taught Kindergarten for 8 years, I think you made the right decision to have Nathan take a half day Kindergarten. To be perfectly honest, maybe it would be best to keep him home another year and then enroll him in Jr. K. Age is no factor in determining if a child is ready to begin the stresses of school. Please consider this prayerfully, and if Nathan is not ready, don't pressure him into something he is not ready to do. Let him "work" alongside Chris and you for another year, and let his 'biological' time clock determine when he should go to school. I know this is tough for parents because all your friends' children will probably be going, but don't let peer pressure dictate what you should do. I have been following your blog for awhile and honestly feel Nathan could benefit greatly from another year at home. If you want I would be willing to share our story with you privately.
A sister in Christ

Anneke Naves said...

I'd love to hear more from you! just send me an email- anneke.naves@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I too would agree with the person above. I think we are sending our precious little "souls" out of the door way to early. Our duty as parents is to raise them to His Honour and Glory! This means to keep them with us as long as possible and allow our little "sponges" time to grow and learn at home with us. I am not a homeschooler, and in fact don't even agree with homeschooling, but I just think they have to be in school for so many years already, with so much pressure, let them be kids for just one more year. He would probably learn more being with daddy and you, in a more relaxed atmosphere. Don't wish your life away:) Next year isn't that far off, they are only young and with you for such a short time!
I won't judge you on your decision, but just thought as an older mom with a large family, I would share my two cents:)
All the best! and May God Bless your family!

Brad and Meagan said...

Pray about it, God will give you the best answer.
Deuteronomy 6 vs 7 " You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."


Proverbs 22:"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it".

Training up our children involves not one thing (education) but two: educating and disciplining. We are to come along side our children. Gently and firmly turn them to Christ in all areas of their lives whether it be school, or just cleaning their room. As a side note: disciplining isn't something a teacher can do- it must come from parents who hold their children's hearts and are called to nuture their eternal souls.

The world wants us to separate knowledge and wisdom. God says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Pr 1 vs 7a

Dr. Beeke's book "Parenting By God's Promises" is also helpful. Praying for you. Just a phone call away.

Amanda said...

Anneke,
You are in my thoughts as you send him off to school! I know it perhaps has been a difficult decision to do so but I do believe that he will benefit from it and I support your decision. I actually have something against all these moms sending their kids to JK so early, part of which I think is to ship them off so they have more time to do things themselves. But certain kids do need that extra help early on and I believe Nathan is one of those kids. I had a nephew with struggles too and my sister relunctantly sent him to JK and it has benefited him so much. I pray it will do the same for Nathan!
Thinking of you dear friend!!!