This morning I had two little monkeys join me in bed. It kind of felt like deja vu , except I used to be one of the monkeys. Growing up my dad was often away for several days for work. My sisters and I would take turn sleeping in the BIG (queen size) bed with my mom. Often in the morning several of us would climb in and we'd all be cozy together. We'd lay there quietly (or at least I think we were quiet), sometimes whispering things to my mom. She would often pretend to put make-up on our faces, tracing our eyes, lips, and cheeks with her finger.
I found it hard this morning to come to terms with the fact that now it is my kids who are climbing into my bed to snuggle up with me (I still can't believe sometimes that I am a mom... wasn't it just yesterday that I was a kid?). It was 6:30am and I really had hoped to sleep in. No, they did not lay still for more then 20 seconds. The room smelled like pee filled diapers. Instead of tracing their faces, Nathan would reach over and run his hand up and down my arm and neck. Mary Beth would lay still with my arm around her just long enough to satisfy her need for a cuddle before hopping out and running out of the room, just to have her return 1 minute later for another cuddle. But it was so special to be able to welcome them into my bed, just like my mom did to me and my sisters 25 years ago. Hopefully I can create happy memories that will stay with them when they are older.
*Chris is gone fishing for 2 days, thus my empty bed :( although he is usually up at 4:30 to do chores.
No comments:
Post a Comment