Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Bathroom Reno

Soon after Chris & I were married, I stripped all the flowery wallpaper from the bathroom and painted the walls green.  The green I chose never did look quite the same as the paint chip and so I was never completely happy with the way it turned out.  Our house has a lot of oak in it.  Trim, cupboards, chair rail.  Orangey oak everywhere.  I've been tired of it for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and paint the bathroom cupboards.
Here are the before pictures- I actually don't think it looks that bad, now that I see it again.


 And it begins! Because the shower, toilet, sink and counter are all a light grey, I decided to paint the cupboards a dark grey.  I used a product from Rustoleum called Cabinet Transformations and it worked really well.  I did end up doing 3 coats of grey instead of the 2 suggested in the instructions.  But even then I had tons left over.

It was hard to pick a wall colour and in the end I went with the top, "Silver Dust".  I didn't want the walls to have too much grey in them.  They look white for the most part.

 We had cupboard doors and drawers every where in the kitchen & dining room.  It was somewhat tricky to keep every area still functional (esp. since we only have 1 bathroom) but that probably motivated me to get it done faster!

 Bye-bye green walls!
 A before/after shot.
 The light fixture is the same one as before but I spray painted it black.  I also spray painted all of the cupboard hinges as well as the hooks beside the shower that we use for our towels.  The handles for the cupboards and drawer were replaced with new black ones.  I chose teal as an accent colour for a little pop.  The shower curtain was my inspiration as it has grey and teal in it (see further down for picture).
 The one thing that I still don't like is the ceiling but I really don't feel like painting that.  The trim is still oak as well.  I made the sign on the wall all by myself :)  Chris bought the wood and I did the rest.  Painting it was harder then I thought it would be but I am very pleased with the results.


 I made a frame for the mirror to give it a bit of a rustic feel.  It was stained the same as the sign.  I ordered some L braces from Lee Valley to give it a little added detail.

 The shower curtain, along with some new towels to match.
And some little decorative details, thanks to Home Sense! And the nest was found by Mary Beth :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your bathroom turned out great! I can see that it was a ton of work and lots of thought went into it. Regarding the ceiling and oak trim, from the pictures I think that it actually works well with the flooring. The floor ties in both the grays and the browns. And your sign looks professionally done. I've also painted a sign before and I know how hard it is!
-Andrea S.

Leanne said...

looks great Anneke! You must be very happy with it!