Once spring finally arrived, we've been enjoying the new life that it brings. It's been a very wet spring, with hardly a day of sunshine. But the ducks don't mind and we were graced with the presence of a male and female mallard as well as a few wood ducks.
They didn't stick around too long, unfortunately. But they were beautiful to look at when they were around.
It's always nice to see the cows come out to pasture. I love watching them run down the hill when it starts to rain or when a car driving by thinks it would fun to lay on their horn and scare them.
Every year we get to witness the arrival of new Canadian geese. This year there were 2 batches of goslings that hatched: one with 6 and the other with 5.
For weeks the mother sat on her nest on the pond's edge, close to the road. Finally one Sunday we noticed the babies! There ended up being one egg that didn't hatch (there would have been 6 in this family).
One afternoon Chris sent me a text to go look in the pond. There were 2 snapping turtles mating :P By the time I got to the pond to see it for myself, they were done and I only saw one turtle.
It's been fun watching all of the wildlife that is just steps from our front door. But I don't think we'll be hanging by the pond too much with the long grass. Both girls ended up with ticks in their hair :(
2 comments:
Beautiful Pics. to go along with an interesting and educational post. The cow with his head over the fence seems to be thinking, " You mean I ran all the way down the hill for nothing?"
Paul N.
Love that picture of Jenna in the field!
Post a Comment