Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tomato Eater

This morning I was sitting on the deck, attempting to read a book while keeping an eye on my kids as they played with the neighbour girl Eden. It's hard reading with the kids around because I get interupted every 30 seconds or so. It was finally quiet for several minutes and I was able to read a couple pages without interuption when Eden suddenly asks "What's MaryBeth doing?". To my horror MaryBeth was squatting by the tomatoes that I had picked earlier and had placed on the deck to redden up in the sun and had took a bite out of 6 of the 7! She has already picked a couple of green tomatoes and attempted to eat them in the past few weeks. I guess she's going to be a tomato lover just like her mommy.

The lil' culprit :)


I might not be able to make another batch of salsa after all :(



Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hi Anneke,
Cute picture of "the culprit" but just a hint that I read. Tomatoes ripen in the dark. Put them in a brown paper bag on your counter..not in the sun to ripen.

Brad and Meagan said...

haha! what a cutie:) Gabe picks them green and uses the balls to throw around...

Bethany said...

Mark had a good laugh over this post. She looks pretty impressed with herself! lol

Jonathan and Denise said...

What a cute little stinker!!

Lorraine said...

Just one more thing I thought of later...if you've got your own plants why are you picking them before they are perfectly red? Later in September when they aren't going to ripen on the vine anymore I understand but now the best taste and vitamins is by being left on the vine until ripe! ;)

Anneke Naves said...

Lorraine- I think picking them before they're ripe is something that I grew up with. My parents always picked theirs when they were sill orange. I think it was to keep them from rotting or eaten by bugs. I've just continued doing... maybe I should stop. Also, about putting tomatoes in a paper bag, I read in the paper this week that there should be an apple or banana in the bag too. They emit a gas that will ripen the tomato faster. Mine seem to ripen pretty quickly just sitting on my counter.