Tuesday, September 27, 2011

shishing and kitties

This past Saturday Nathan decided he didn't need a nap (which seems to becoming the new normal around here). He really wanted to go outside. I on the other hand did not feel like taking him, wanting to do things inside the house. Chris was tired and wanted a nap. So I ended up sending him out by himself. Scary thought. I send him outside all the time but with the knowledge that Chris and the other farm employees are usually around to keep an eye on Nathan. I am constantly checking out the windows to get a glimpse of his white hair chasing after one of the many barn cats. If I don't see him for awhile, I go out and look for him and Nathan usually appears within a few seconds of me calling him.

On this particular afternoon Nathan wanted to take his net with him. I think it's meant for catching bugs and butterflies but he calls it his "shishing" net. He told me as he walked down the steps that he was going to go "shishing" and pointed towards the pond. I looked at him and warned him sternly not to go to the pond! I watched him trot away in his rubber boots, heading for the barn, much to my relief!

After maybe 10 minutes of Nathan being gone, my mind was filled with visions of finding him floating in the pond. I would never be able to live with myself if this were to happen so off I went in search of my little boy. And sure enough he responded to my call within seconds. He was safe and sound in the hay mow. He was so excited to have "caught" 2 kitties in his net! I headed to rescue them from the mesh that was stuck to their claws. For such young kittens, they have quite the claws on them! Nathan is always coming in the house with scratches all over his arms and hands. But he doesn't seem to mind one bit.

As I untangled the first black kitten from the net, I noticed the second one located at the bottom was not moving :( I don't know what had happened but the poor thing was dead. Nathan didn't seem to notice. He really has no concept of what "dead" means. I proceeded to carry the "sleeping" kitten in the net and went to the house to ask Chris what I should do with it with Nathan in tow carrying the now lonely sibling. It wasn't exactly easy trying to dispose of the deceased with Nathan right there. He kept asking about the kitty and I did my best to try to explain that the kitty was no longer alive. Today Nathan has informed me that there are no baby kitties. Who knows what happened to the other one? :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooo cute! What a typical boy!
C

SJB said...

Aw! SUCH a boy! I love it! I mean, despite the sleeping kitten it's really so cute :)

Bethany said...

whatever "shishing" is, it must be dangerous! lol poor kitty!