Every year around this time, our neighbour's raspberry bushes produce lots of yummy berries. But also every year at the end of July, our neighbours go camping for 2 weeks. So instead of the berries rotting on the bush, I get to pick them! Although the weather hasn't been ideal so far this summer, the bushes are being productive. I am finding that I have to pick every day in order to keep the berries from rotting because of all the rain. Also there are several others enjoying the berries.... inch worms, Japanese beetles, slugs, etc. You really have to keep your eyes open while picking! Because they berries are starting to rot on the bushes, they are not very nice for freezing, so I figured they best thing to do is make jam, something I've never done before :)
Friday, July 24, 2009
Raspberry Jam
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow Anneke! that looks amazing! I LOVE raspberry jam...I think it's probably my favorite berry flavor.
I made cooked and freezer strawberry jam this year but raspberry is still the best I think.
It's sick how much sugar it needs eh? For the cooked jam, I needed 9 cups of berries to 14 cups of sugar! :S
My mom used to make peach jam...I've had cravings for it lately. Maybe I'll make some next year.
Post a Comment