Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Good News

After my earlier post (Baby Update) I was trying to do some research on my "condition" and came to the conclusion that the membrane in my uterus was actually a "uteral septum" or a "septated uterus". My midwife Katie had used the word "septum" a lot on the phone when she had called me, so from this I did a google search. But as it turns out I do not have a septated uterus. I had an appointment this morning with an Ob., Dr. Gangam, who informed me that it is just a thin membrane lining the back wall of my uterus. She doesn't think this membrane is a cause for pre-term birth, but because I have had one early birth, I am at a higher risk for another pre-term birth. So once I reach 30 weeks (I'm 18 right now) I will start having routine ultrasounds to check if my cervix is beginning to thin out (an early sign of labour). If it is anytime before 34 weeks, I will be given a shot (don't remember the name) that will help with the baby's lungs, which are not usually fully developed until after 34 weeks.

Dr. Gangam said that the membrane crossing my cervix most likely tore during my labour with Nathan, which would explain the hemorrhaging, but it's nothing to worry about anymore. The only other thing she said I was at risk for is a "uteral abruption", which means the scar tissue from my cesarean birth does not hold during labour. Not a pleasant thought! But Dr. Gangam said it isn't too likely since the best types of incision and enclosing stitches were used on me.

I am now under shared care between Dr. Gangam and my midwives. Thankfully Dr.Gangam thinks it will be fine for the midwives to do the delivery as long as thing continue to progress normally and the Ob. on duty is informed of my history. I must say this is an answer to prayer! Things are looking much better then originally thought the past few weeks. But we will still continue to pray that things will keep going smoothly.

1 comment:

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

That's awesome Anneke. I hope everything continues to go well. :)