So I picked up a bedroom set (well, Chris was the one to go pick it up) from Kijiji yesterday for Nathan. Mary Beth is getting to the point that she could sleep in the toddler bed soon so I searched for a single/twin size bed for Nathan. I ended up finding a complete set for a good price, mattress included. But now I'm torn as to whether I should refinish it or not. There is some damage to the furniture (see bottom picture) and what I think is nail polish stains on a couple of spots. I'm thinking that since it's just in the bedroom and the only people going in there are the kids, it's not a big deal to leave it the way it is, especially since it will probably just get dinged up some more as time goes on and the kids get older.
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Decorating Dilema
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
white and buy zinsser so you don't have to sand first!
My suggestion is to leave it for a couple of years. Our kids have dinged up enough furniture to sink a battleship; it's inevitable with their toys etc. Wait until he's 10 years old, and you won't have wasted your time and energy.
Aren't those before/after photos online inspiring though? I just got a solid maple desk/hutch on kijiji which is on my front porch waiting for its makeover for the girl's room. Fortunately, I have a son to do the work for me!
oo thats a tough one! They look okay! I agree, the first scratches and dings are already there, and more will come... but it is fun to do projects and the feeling of accomplishment when it's done! I'm thinking white would look nice? but probably wont for too long if any dirty-fingered children touch it :) Sorry, not too much help :)
I tend to think that white furniture is king of girly, personally I would do brown for a boy. But maybe that's just me! :)
Hmmmm...this is a toughy. Is the color gray or is it a blonde wood? The first picture looked gray and the third blonde.
If it's gray, I would probably keep it gray. I think gray, white, and yellow look sharp together.
It's hard to say what to do without seeing it in person, but if you were to paint it, I think navy or a dark blue is cute for boys (although dark colors show dust more). Gray would also a color choice that would be more modern.
Is it laminate? If it is, that might be more difficult to paint. You'd maybe have to use a special primer.
So, I'm not sure what I'd do at this point without knowing more about it. :)
Btw, the set looks really nice. Good buy!
I love the set! Good buy.
First question: Is is laminate? If it is, it might be harder to paint and you might need a special primer. Not sure, though.
Second, what exactly is the color right now? In one pic it looks gray, in another it looks brown. If it's gray, I think that'd be a great combo with white and yellow.
If you did go with painting it, I think navy blue is cute for a boy's room (although dark colors show more dust). I also think gray is a modern color that would look good with your colors.
Without knowing more, this is my 2 cents. Have fun!
Hi Anneke! This is my first visit to your blog --- you aroused my curiosity with your comment on Andrea's blog. I just had to say I love the gray wood furniture. The wood grain look shows through the gray, and you'd lose that if you paint it. (We just bought bookcases that colour :) From the photos, I think the gray looks great with the greys in the duvet and with the browns in the room. But if you're still itching to refinish...go to Value Village or Bibles for Mission and you'll find great wooden bookcases and things just itching to be refinished :)
Doreen
Post a Comment